Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have an eye twitch that doesnt want to go away. Is been

I have an eye twitch that doesn't want to go away. Is been 10-12 days already and is driving me crazy, same eye (left) in the eyelid (bottom left). Keeps going and going and is becoming really annoying. Please help!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Customer : Now I am
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I accepted the question by mistake, I still need your help. Thx
No problem....I won't leave you hanging :o)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX currently not taking any medications or have major medical problems that I am aware of.
What you are describing is called myokymia. It can occur at any age is has an equal prevalence in both women and men. People who have this condition usually notice sporadic jumping or twitching, usually of an eyelid or the muscle around the orbit (obicularis oculi), although it can involve larger areas of the face and eye. In rare cases it can cause the eyeball to move and give the sensation of double vision or oscillopsia.

What causes this? Well, we really don't know, however it seems to related to excess caffeine or alcohol intake, fatigue or stress. It is not (in the vast, vast majority of cases) a sign of any serious disease, tumors etc. Rarely myokymia can be a precursor to meige syndrome, hemifacial spasm, blepharospasm or spastic-paretic facial abnormalities, but I would not worry about this in your case. In the almost all cases myokymia is a benign, self-limited disease which requires no treatment or further workup
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.