Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 15 year old son, with a history of migraines, was just woken

My 15 year old son, with a history of migraines, was just woken up with severe pain in his left eye. It is now spreading to his whole head. He feels nausia. I have him in the shower in case it is sinus related. Do you have any thoughts?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

JACUSTOMER-cuk7mexs- :

Good morning. Any thoughts?

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that he has sinus issues along with his migraine however, as you know migraines can also cause eye pain along with periorbital pain.

JACUSTOMER-cuk7mexs- :

Ok this is the first pain that has woken him up. What do you suggest?

Dr. Rick :

It would be unusual for him to have a sudden onset of acute eye pain related to an intraocular process since he has no history of eye issues. Given his history of migraines I would look to that as a cause first.

JACUSTOMER-cuk7mexs- :

Should we see a neurologist?

Dr. Rick :

I do not like that the pain has woken him up, that is true. Have you noticed any difference in his pupils, his eye movements or has he complained of any vision problems (outside of the usual multicolored lights that may precede his headache)?

Dr. Rick :

If this is the first time a headache has woke him up, a visit to a neurologist would not hurt.

JACUSTOMER-cuk7mexs- :

His eyes are not dialated and no eye movement problems.

Dr. Rick :

Then I do not think it is an emergency that he be seen -- no need for a trip to the ER. However, if he starts to become confused, show any systemic signs or if he just "doesn't seem right" to you then I'd get in him in ASAP.

JACUSTOMER-cuk7mexs- :

Thank you and happy holidays!

Dr. Rick :

Otherwise, I think this is most likely a bad migraine and will run its course.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Have a happy holiday season.