Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

cataract surgery in left eye only,my rt eye is ok no cataract yet..Rt

I a 65yr old male considering having cataract surgery in left eye only,my rt eye is ok no cataract yet. Rx as follows: Rt eye -4-50 -1.25x 010; Lt eye -6.26 -1.00 x170. What
is my options if I decide to have monvision done. Left eye set for near & Rt eye set for
plano at a later date.Also,want to know that if I have this proceduce done on the Lt eye
only can I continue to wear eyeglasses and be able to to see for distance and near,and
be able to drive.
Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you ever tried monovision in contact lenses? If so, was it OK for you?

JACUSTOMER-g4pykxta- :

Never tried contact lenses.Use eyeglasses all the time.My eyes get dry at times.

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest you have the doctor fit you with contacts and see how you like the monovision before you have it done by implanting lenses in your eyes.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
If you have the left eye set for plano you might not be able to tolerate the difference in prescription between the two eyes while wearing glasses....but then again, you might. If you can't tolerate glasses, you could wear contacts, which will minimize the anisoconia.

If your cataracts are "ripe" enough that you believe both eyes will have surgery fairly close together, you could have both eyes set for distance and wear reading glasses for near....I wouldn't go with monovision until you have a taste of what it is like by a trial of contact lenses.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.