Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my question is for the eyes my dr. said i have a small closure

my question is for the eyes my dr. said i have a small closure in the capular (not sure of the spelling) can you explain this and is it serious
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

I would think that what your doctor is talking about is a cloudy posterior capsule that is blocking some of your vision in an eye that had cataract surgery in the past.

When your cataract is removed a "bag" is left behind. This bag has a back surface called the posterior capsule. Your artificial lens (PCIOL) is placed into this bag during surgery.

In a number of patients, months or years after they had their cataract removed and an artificial lens placed inside their capsular bag, the back (posterior) part of the bag becomes cloudy. Some patients liken it to their cataract "growing back" and have symptoms of glare, blurry vision etc.

This is not a serious condition and is easily treated in your ophthalmologists office with a special instrument called a YAG laser. After putting a numbing drop in your eye a special contact lens is sometimes placed on your eye and, in a few brief moments, the YAG laser "removes" the cloudy posterior capsule. There is no post op recovery time needed, no patch, no drops and you can expect your vision to return within a few moments to hours.

The cloudy posterior capsule almost never "grows back" or gets re-cloudy.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and
effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button
for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are
satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or
Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.