Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi Dr Rick, Its me again, Luanne. I signed up for an account

Hi Dr Rick,
It's me again, Luanne. I signed up for an account so I can accept you Answers (you deserve credit for them, your time is much more valuable than $25)

So my cells are sick and dying. Is there any treatment to help nurse them back to better health?

I stopped the medication.

I thought I once heard that age related degeneration could be helped by folic acid and the vitamin B group. Can this help me? Can the blood vessels of the eyes be dilated to allow greater flow of blood, oxygen, nutrients and remover more of the toxins?

Or is medicine still at the point of just “wait and see” what happens over time?

Dr. Rick :

No. I'm afraid that there is no known treatment for the damage that has been done to your retina other then stopping the medicine and crossing your fingers. What you have is in no way related to age related macular degeneration, other then it is affecting the same area of the retina, the macula.

Dr. Rick :

I wish that dilating the blood vessels would be helpful but the retina already has the highest blood flow of any tissue in the body. There is no need to increase it. And you've hit the issue right on the head: Medicine has no effective treatment for this type of retinal toxicity other then document the problem, make sure it's not something else, then just sit back and hope and pray.

Dr. Rick :

Have a happy holiday season -- as best as you can given what is going on -- and we will stay in touch. Talk to you later.