Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had a sensation of double vision yesterday that lasted about

I had a sensation of double vision yesterday that lasted about 5 minutes. No dizziness, no pain but it was shocking all the same. I blocked one eye at a time and I could see well, but not when I looked forward with both eyes. Ignore it or talk to my doctor? Live in a small town in Sweden

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of conditions that can cause a brief episode of double vision (diplopia). It could be anything from dry eyes and blepharitis causing problems with your tear film to vascular problems causing nerve problems to the muscles that move your eye.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think this is an emergency but I suggest that you have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist to better understand what caused this brief episode of double vision. If there are no ophthalmologists nearby starting with a visit to your internal medicine physician would be OK.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have also had eye migrain sensations yesterday and today. Can this have any connection to the double vision?
Migraines can cause transient diplopia in some cases, although in a patient your age I would put this farther down on the list. I would be more comfortable ruling out other, more complex etiologies for your diplopia, before laying the blame on ocular migraines.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.

Thank you for accepting my answer.......Have a wonderful holiday season.