Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Eye Infection/Swellen eyes

Customer Question

Hi There,<br /><br />I am having eye infection last 2 days. Here is history of I had a same infection happen last year same time around and same right eye. Gernal Doctor did pricribe medication and it went worst, than I visited eye specialist but it didn't work out. Than, after 2 months of suffering here in sydney, I did travel India and over there it has been gone with some dry eyes solutions.<br /><br />How would I know the reason of eye swelling. Will it be because of bactarial, viral or elergic.<br /><br />What is the medications.<br /><br />
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It sound like you might be suffering from a combination of issues all at once. The treatment for all of them, however is the about same.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should try the tear replacement drops to soothe your eyes and give the baby shampoo lid scrubs a few weeks to work before you try a bunch of antibiotic drops or ointments. The above treatment resolves the problem in a vast majority of patients.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Rick

As I've said that last time when I had the same infection and I've try lots of things and none of did work and it was get worst. So would you please recommended 100% guarantee treatment so this time around I don't suffer. Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Thank you Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr. Rick

Also I would like to add that, In the morning when I wake up My right eye hardly to open.Upper and lower lid stick to each other. After washing with warm water i am able to open the lid. What is reason of that? Right now it is red, fuffly watery.Slighly iching. But because of I am washing with warm water every 2 hours so ichiness is less.

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
There is no 100% guarantee in life......or in blepharitis treatment. This, however, should work.

Does sound like some sort of allergic issue with blepharitis. Give the lid scrubs time to work, if not, see your ophthalmologist to see if you have some other, less common cause for your issues.

Have a great holiday season!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.