Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

head and neck..bleeding in one of his eyes, within the eye itself

Customer Question

Hi my father in-law had some acupuncture done last Saturday around the head and neck region. On Tuesday he noticed he had bleeding in one of his eyes, within the eye itself. When we questioned my mother in-law she said that it was behind the eye that the bleeding had happened. He cannot see from the injured eye and at a distance everything appears black to him, he can only see from the other eye but only at close range. My question is could it be related to the acupuncture, if done incorrectly. My father in-law is 83 and he is a diabetic. What would be the best thing for him to do to make it more bearable as he is unable to see his doctor till late next week. Thank you. Millie
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Our chat system is on the blink. We can use the Q&A format to work on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The loss of vision and bleeding inside his eye can be either from his diabetes, having caused severe diabetic retinopathy, or from a needle being stuck through his eyeball from the acupuncture.

It is possible that acupuncture could have caused the bleeding. If it is from the acupuncture it is an eye emergency and requires immediate evaluation and treatment by an ophthalmologist to prevent him from going 100% blind or even loosing the eye all together. He should go to the nearest emergency room right now.

If the bleeding is from any other reason....diabetic retinopathy, posterior vitreous detachment etc it is important for him to be seen by an ophthalmologist ASAP.

There really is nothing to you can do at home to make him more comfortable, other then tylenol, and any delay in treatment may lead to increased damage and a poorer final visual outcome.

I hope this has been helpful. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.