Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Im buying some new glasses on-line and they (all the sites)

I'm buying some new glasses on-line and they (all the sites) ask if I want Single Vision (Full time wear) or Single Vision (Reading Only). I don't see the difference. Yes, I know the difference terms of my needs. I want to know the difference in the glasses. To put it another way, if I send in my prescription and check "Full Time Wear" what will be the difference in the glasses I receive as compared to those I will get if I check "Reading Only." To repeat, I'm not asking about what is best for me. I just want to know the technical differences between the products in the two cases. Can you help explain this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can answer that for you.

Dr. Rick :

Single vision full time wear would have your distance Rx only. No plus add (bifocals, either with or without a line). They would give you your best distance vision and do nothing to help with reading vision.

Dr. Rick :

Single vision, reading only would not have any distance Rx in it all. They would not help you to see in the distance, as a matter of fact, they would make distant objects very blurry. This type of glasses would only be used for reading and other near vision tasks. They would be much the same as "dime store cheaters" you use for reading, except in a much better frame.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this has answered your question.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The prescription I send in doesn't change. Does that mean the companies just ignore some of the information on the prescription depending on which option I check? If so, what information is ignored in the two cases? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
If you have a Rx for normal glasses that folks over 40 like us wear, you should have a distance Rx and then under it an add. In your case it would most likely be +2.75 -- this is the bifocal, or near Rx.

If you order single vision distance glasses, the company will only use the distance Rx part of your prescription.

If you order the single vision reading only glasses the company will do some mathematic conversions, using your distance and near Rx, to come up with a power for a reading only glasses.

The most common type of glasses people over the age of 45 use are NOT single vision, but rather bifocal. Bifocals have a Rx for clear distance vision and another Rx for clear near vision, all ground into one piece of glass.

Hope this makes sense.