Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have an ulcer in my eye from a surgery I had on 12/5/95...

I have an ulcer in my eye from a surgery I had on 12/5/95... When I was in a coma, i apparently had some mucus that went undetected in my right eye... they did find it but it was late and from that I have an ulcer in my cornea. I had 20/20 vision and now I have something like 20/100... I think, not real sure. Could lasik be a treatment for me? where should I start?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

hello!

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

are you waiting for me?

Dr. Rick :

There are many treatment options, depending upon the location, depth, associated astigmatism, remaining thickness of uninvolved corneal stroma and health of the endothelium

Dr. Rick :

Nope...just typing

Dr. Rick :

can you take a picture of your ulcer scar?

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

How do I do that?

Dr. Rick :

do you have a digital camera that you can put the photo on your computer desktop?

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

yes. canon EOS 1d

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Try to take a nice, clear, upclose picture of the lesion and follow these upload directions.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

once I do this... will I need to log in again or how exactly do I send this to Dr. Rick?

Dr. Rick :

just stay on this page and copy/paste the link in the box to this chat box

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

ok. it'll be about 20 minutes I suppose...

Dr. Rick :

minimize this chat to see your desktop etc

Dr. Rick :

k. I'll hang out.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

http://i56.tinypic.com/n52az8.jpg ok here it is...

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

are you there Dr. Rick

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

Dr. Rick,

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

to answer your previous question, I'm live in San Diego...

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

any recommendations for eye doctors?

Dr. Rick :

I can find you a name but I'll have to go to the American Academy of Ophthalmology website to look up some corneal specialist associates contact information. Let me take a look at your picture....be right back.

Dr. Rick :

Good.. You scar is not in the center. I think that this could be addressed by a few different ways. You could have phototherapeutic keratectomy with a laser, a lamellar keratoplasty to remove the scar and, if all else fails, a corneal transplant.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that I do believe that your corneal issues can be addressed with modern treatment modalities available.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

Not in the center? ok.... just go to the AAO website and look for what exactly?

Dr. Rick :

no. I'll do that for you. I can look them up for you using the members only "find an associate" search function. If you have a minute I'll do it now and be right back

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

thanks

Dr. Rick :

ok, brb

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Sandy Feldman,XXXXX Suite 100, San Diego 92121(NNN) NNN-NNNNis a fellowship trained cornea expert who is well respected at the Academy. Her web site is: clearvieweyes.com

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

ok! Thank You Dr. Rick...

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

Have a good holiday!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you....and good picture, by the way.

Dr. Rick :

You too.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

Im a photographer, and my close-up lenses are in Las Vegas... so I was hoping that somewhat blurred pic would do...

Dr. Rick :

it was blurry but good enough for what I needed to see.

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

thanks again

Dr. Rick :

Like they say: What is in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Guess that means close up lenses too!

JACUSTOMER-04zlle1f- :

ha!

Dr. Rick :

:o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k