Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter was born premature and therefore is mentally challenged.

My daughter was born premature and therefore is mentally challenged. When she was a baby and small child she had a dermoid cyst in her eyelid or maybe even her eye socket. I took her to an ophthalmologist who said that's what it was. I never had it taken out and now she is 21 and having petite seizures. Would the cyst be causing this? It has disappeared from sight and I figured it would not bother her is why I didn't do anything about it. She has had an MRI before and nobody mentioned it from that. Just concerned as to what it might do. I appreciate your input. Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It is very unlikely that a ocular/orbital dermoid cyst is in any way related to her petite seizures. There is the slight chance that, if her "dermoid" was located on the medial aspect of her orbit, it may have been a encephalocele and not a dermoid after all.

Dr. Rick :

If this were indeed the case, and I'm not saying that it is, then an encephalocele could be associated with neurological problems. It would be very, very unlikely that this diagnosis would have been missed for two decades. An MRI, which you said your daughter has had in the past would easily have diagnosed this condition.

Dr. Rick :

So the take home response to your question? I don't think her past diagnosis of a dermoid cyst is in any way related to her new onset seizure activity.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k