Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up this morning with my right eye watering and nose

I woke up this morning with my right eye watering and nose running, but only the right side. I tried to wear my contact lenses but had to abandon them as the right eye was getting more and more irritated. The eye is not red, but my nose is running excessively. What is the cause of this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you might have a corneal abrasion or an early corneal ulcer. First off, stop using the visine....that will just make things worse.

Dr. Rick :

Do not wear your contacts. For tonight, get some eye ointment, such as lacrilube or refresh PM, goop up your eye and go to sleep. If it is just a simple corneal abrasion, it should be better in the morning. If it is not better by morning you should see an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. Tomorrow, don't wear your contacts, even if things feel back to normal. Use natural tears 3 - 4x/day for a few days. You can go back to contact use in a few days. Also, inspect your contacts closely for any tears or rips...dispose of them if there is any doubt.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k