Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been having vision problems for about a year and a half.

Customer Question

I have been having vision problems for about a year and a half. My vision sometimes is like looking through dirty smudged up glasses. I am not quite sure how to describe it, but it is kind of like shadows across my vision. Sometimes I can blink several times and it seems to go away. I have been to my eye doctor and he found nothing wrong with my eyes or my glasses. I think I notice it more when I am reading something. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Our chat system is offline right now so we can use this method to work on your question.

Do your eyes ever itch or burn?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sometimes they itch, but I assumed it was allergies.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Blepharitis would also explain the episodes of your vision looking like you are wearing smudged up glasses at times. This happens a lot with this condition.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Have a great Holiday Season! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you tonight.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for this information. I hope it helps me. I have been imagining that my problem must be something serious like a brain tumor.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Nope..... No brain tumor. And sometimes the simple treatments are the ones that work.....

Thanks for positive feedback. Have a wonderful holiday!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am rushing out to the store tomorrow to get what I need. Thank you so much for giving me this sense of relief. I hope it works. You have a nice holiday too.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
:o)