Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

lenses..itchy..need to wear eye drops from time to time in my left eye

For the past 4 months or so I have had a slightly dry left eye. A few weeks ago after wearing my contact lenses by mistake while sleeping my eye lid had swollen up and was sore and itchy for 3-4 days until the swelling went away however the dry eye did not.
I can still wear my contacts OK however feel the need to wear eye drops from time to time in my left eye.

I also noticed that I can feel a slight sore or un-comfy feeling in my head behind my eyes almost like a head ache but not that bad. I only notice it really at the end of a day at work - I work in an office where I have worked for several years. I have tired wearing glasses for over a week with no result.

Please help.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do your eyes itch or burn at all? Do you have any medical conditions or take any medicine?

JACUSTOMER-vvqid2j0- :

Often itch in the middle of the night but not really during the day. Cant really see any dry skin as well. Dont take any medicine

Dr. Rick :

It sound like you are suffering from blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

In addition to the lid scrubs you could try using natural tears to soothe your eyes. I do not believe, in your case, that you have much in the way of allergies (like noted above) and, as such, would not suggest the use of any allergy pills

JACUSTOMER-vvqid2j0- :

Would that also cause a slight discomfort in my head. Almost like i have been straining my eyes?

Dr. Rick :

It could be from the irritation of the blepharitis causing eye strain, or it could be mild sinus issues unrelated to your eye issues.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe antibiotic eye drops are needed in your case. Give the lid scubs a few weeks to "kick in" and, if things are still not better, have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-vvqid2j0- :

OK, i noticed that also after i had the cold that the pain behing my eyes started. Could this be related and if so what should i do about the sinus issues?

Dr. Rick :

Try some over the counter sinus remedies....that usually does the trick. One quick question for you, if you don't mind. How many days is a fortnight? Us Americans really don't understand that at all :o)

JACUSTOMER-vvqid2j0- :

14

Dr. Rick :

thx ;)

JACUSTOMER-vvqid2j0- :

OK thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k