Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Last week I noticed a strange appearance of a coloured disk

Last week I noticed a strange appearance of a coloured disk in my vision. It's slightly off centre, above / right and with a light greenish hue. It's not causing bluriness. I went to the doctor after having this problem for three days who has referred me to a specialist. in the meantime I went to an opticians who tested my eyes quite intensively but couldn't find anything wrong. In fact my vision is 20-20 or more. I don't have any blurriness or distortion but it's quite annoying. About 3 weeks ago I did have a bad migraine with jaggedy lines. Occasionally I've had these since I was 13 or so (now 40 years old). But this time, instead of being white it's was rainbow / coloured or psychadelic. I wondered if it is related. I'm now waitign to see a specialist but obviously a bit concerned what the problem is. I've looked online but can't find anything that describes the condition. Floaters and halos are closest but still not accurate in their symptoms. I am not seeing halos aroudn light sources and floaters I have had a few in the past to understand what they are but don't have many at the moment. apart from a vague one on left eye. The problem is with my right eye. I can see the circle / disk even when I shut my eye and probably looks the invert colour. I have produced an example in photoshop which fairly accurately demonstrates what I see. I'd appreciate some advice what might be the problem to stop me worrying until I have further tests. thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

There is a problem with the chat system right now. We can use this system to "chat", although it is a little bit slower.....

Did this colored disk last three days or did it go away after 20 minutes to an hour? You can send the photoshop picture you have compiled by following the directions below and I'll be happy to have a look at it:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there, thanks for you reply. The eye condition is still there. I noticed about last tuesday evening just before bed and originally put it down to the tv or lights. I didn't think too much about it and then a couple of days later i registered it one morning and saw it was still there. I immediatley looked online and then consulted doctor. Last friday I saw optician in the highstreet to see if they could find anything wrong but they couldn't with their equiptment. On an amsler grid the eye problem area shows top right hand quarter ..slightly close to the centre than the outside.

right eye was 12mmHG and left 13mmHG

image i created is her: http://i56.tinypic.com/kf06k0.jpg

thanks Martin

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the picture showing the area of your visual defect. Since the condition is constant and shows up on the corner of the amsler grid that localizes the pathology to your macula. This is the area of your retina that is used for all your daily vision functions such as reading, watching TV, driving etc.

You may have some edema, exudate or abnormal blood vessels leaking in that area. It would be common for an optician to miss pathology such as this as they really aren't trained in these areas.

I agree with your plan to see an ophthalmologist for a complete examination ASAP. They will be able to find the source of your symptoms, and once the cause is known, suggest treatment options.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest