Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Under my right eye is pulsating, under a lot of stress at the

Under my right eye is pulsating, under a lot of stress at the present time. It started suddendly and it has continued for about 2 weeks now. My vision has not been affected. What could be the cause and more importantly the cure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Tell me a little bit more about this pulsating. Is it something that others can see, or that you can see in the mirror or is more just something you can feel? Can you feel the area pulsate if you put your finger gently on it? Do you take any medicine or have any medical problems?

Dr. Rick :

Also, is the pulsting constant or does it come and go? Does it seem to keep time with your heartbeat?

Customer :

no other medical problems, yes i can see it in the mirror,feel it very slightly, sometimes faster sometime slower

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands condition. Is there any discomfort associated with this pulsation?

Customer :

no, I can not feel it, only see it

Dr. Rick :

Can you see a vessel, like a vein, pulsating or is just a mass effect under the eye?

Dr. Rick :

And it's not like a twitch, correct?

Customer :

I can not see a vessel, it is about 1/2 ''under my lower lashes. I sometimes looks a little puffy

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I think I have an idea of what is going on.....It sounds like you are experiencing myokymia. This is a pulsation of the fine muscles of the face, many times around the eyelids and orbit.

Customer :

What cause that? how can I cure it

Dr. Rick :

It is caused by lack of sleep, increased caffeine intake, stress, and anxiety. I would bet that these are all conditions your are experiencing as you help your husband deal with his terminal illness.

Dr. Rick :

What is the treatment? In your case, since you really can't be expected to decrease your stress at this difficult time, is to not worry about it. It is very common and is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition. It should resolve after you can get more sleep, decrease your stress and anxiety.

Customer :

Yes, for sure,is there something I could do to help it stop. I am very worried that it was something more serious

Dr. Rick :

It is not something more serious.....there is no need for you to worry. That being said, some people get relief by applying hot compresses to their eyes 2 to 3x/day.

Customer :

Will tranquilizers help, warm compress etc. anything????

Dr. Rick :

Yes, I expect tranquilizers would help, not so much in that they address the myokymia itself but rather that they force you to get rest. I don't know if taking such strong medicine is indicated to treat what is, in reality, a very benign condition. Try the warm compresses, rest assured that it is nothing serious and try to get some rest. That is probably the best treatment you can do at this time.

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Customer :

Yes, how long do you think it will take to resolve ( I know thats a silly question) but it will hopefully reslove. Why do you think it is not a vessel or something more serious?

Dr. Rick :

It may take weeks to resolve, or it might continue for as long as you are under the stress of dealing with your husbands illness; it might come and go....hard to tell. When I was asking my series of initial question, I was trying to localize the pulsations as well as the intensity and relationship to your heartbeat. This is, of course, a lot easier to do if you are sitting in my exam chair then by playing 20 questions :o)

Dr. Rick :

However, it became clear that your "pulsations" were associated with your lower lid, near the eyelashes -- by far the number one area affected by myokymia, and an extremely rare location for anything serious such an aneurysm.....there are no large arteries in that area etc....

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, that is my thought process....which I've tried to sharpen over the last almost 2 decades of clinical practice. I'm not sure, however, which is winning -- my improved diagnostic ability with years of practice.....or the loss of grey cells with increasing age!

Customer :

Thank you so very much for your through answers......so many things to worry about...... maybe botox or acupuncture might stop it for now! lol When I squint it also stops! thank you so very much, Iam releived that it is nothing more serious.

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure. Give my best to your husband. Take care and have a good Holiday Season.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest