Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

I am twenty-five years old and have worn glasses since I was six. I never opted to get contacts because once when I tried to do so (around 15 years old) I had great difficulty learning to put them in, got frustrated, and gave up far earlier than I should have. Recently, I wanted to try the process again. However, the opthamologist I saw told me that due to my astigmatism, soft lenses would not work well for me and that hard, gas permeable ones would be superior. He said these are far more expensive and somewhat more difficult to put in.

Naturally, I wanted to see if I was a candidate for surgery because I would prefer the one-shot deal than having to go with thes expensive lenses. However, the opthamologist has yet to determine that.

But the most pressing issue/question I have that I asked this doctor involved my right eye. From when I was young, my right eye clearly seemed slightly askew compared to the other one. I think it has actually worsened over time. I asked the doctor about it and he claimed it was a case of the muscle of my iris being caught on the lens of the eye and sort of being tugged. I asked him whether anything could be done about this, as, from an appearance-based perspective, it does not look how I would ideally want it to look.

His response was that nothing could be done as "the cure was worse than the disease."
This sounded pretty crpytic and I left it at that. But i was hoping to get another opinion on that. I have never been mocked or made fun of for it for which I am grateful, but I just feel it could look a lot more pleasing aesthetically if there were some kind of corrective procedure.

Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Congenital iris abnormalities can be surgically corrected, depending upon the type and the severity of the malformation. It sounds like your condition, from the description you gave, is where the iris tissue is attached to the anterior capsule of the lens.

Dr. Rick :

The only way to fix this cosmetic issue is with intraocular surgery, where the strand of iris is torn free from its abnormal attachment. While this frees the iris in many cases it still does not look "normal" so, from a cosmetic point of view, the surgery would not have achieved the desired effect. So the net result is that you have taken on all the risks of intraocular surgery and got no benefit in return -- hence "The cure is worse then the disease" I agree with your ophthalmologist.....leave it alone.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I see that you have read my answer. Also, you have asked 9 questions at justanswer, of which you have only accepted 1. What is your plans with this answer?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest