Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Doc, my left eye tends to tear excessively for most of the

Doc, my left eye tends to tear excessively for most of the day.....I went to a specialist a few
years ago and he flushed my tear duct and said I did not need surgury.....the problem still
exist........what would be your take on this condition......Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-5x788qh2- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

do your eyes itch or burn?

JACUSTOMER-5x788qh2- :

it is just my left eye and it does itch sometimes

Dr. Rick :

The three most common causes of tearing are allergies, dry eyes and blepharitis. Many times people have a combination of all of them. I find that it is helpful to try treating all three issues, as the treatment is very similar.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversable) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have effect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or zyrtec.

Dr. Rick :

I would give the above treatment 3 or 4 weeks to "kick in". If things are not improved then an examination by an ophthalmologist is indicated to look for other, less common, causes of your tearing.

JACUSTOMER-5x788qh2- :

that sounds good to me....thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k