Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a blister on the inside of my eye lid, it looks like

I have a blister on the inside of my eye lid, it looks like it has some liquid in it, from the outside there is a small swelling and it is not very painful unless I press on it, should I be worried?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

This is nothing to worry about, however, if it has not started to improve (less tender, perhaps slightly smaller) in a week or so you might want to be seen by an ophthalmologist. Like I stated above, the actual bump will take some time, sometimes a few months, to go away.....but, don't worry, as it will resolve.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, the bump is on the inside of my lower eyelid and actually looks more like a blister than anything, do you still feel it´s a stye? and should I still go ahead with the treatment you suggested?
What I am mostly worried about is that 3 months ago I had lower eyelid surgery and I have not had any problems until now so wondering if it is possible that it could be a stitch that has not dissolved and causing the infection or whatever it is. I am visiting from another country so have no possibility to see my surgeon and will not be going home for another 2 months.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oh....the history of lower lid surgery changes things a bit :o).

The most common cause of a "blister" looking thing after lid/conjunctival surgery is a cyst. This happens when a gland gets "folded over" inside during the placement of stitches. The gland no longer has a opening for the secretions to get out, so a cyst forms. If it gets large enough to bother you, it can be removed with simple excision. "Pop"ing it might make it go away, but with this treatment the cyst tends to come back.

I doubt that it is a stitch as any stitched placed under in that area would have been absorbable and would be gone by now. Also, I very, very much doubt you have to worry about this being an infection.....at this point I would consul you to enjoy your stay during the holidays and not give it a second thought.

I don't think this is a stye given your history of lid surgery.....sorry for the mix up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I will accept your answer but I just want to know if you feel that I should still do the cleaning you suggested or would it be better to leave it alone? and at what point would you think it was time to see a doctor? should it be an eye doctor or plastic surgeon?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Lid scrubs with baby shampoo are always a good idea as almost everyone has some degree of blepharitis. Will it affect your inclusion cyst or hurt it at all? No.

I think you will be fine to wait for until you get back home and then you can see the doctor who did your eyelid surgery. If you are concerned you would be fine to be seen by any ophthalmologist....a plastic surgeon is not necessary.

Have a great Holiday Season. It has been a pleasure helping you.