Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

anything on the left side of the screen caused me to feel nauseous

Hello. I've got quick question about something that's been making me feel absolutely miserable as of late. About two weeks ago, just up in the middle of the day, I decided to turn the TV on, and all of the sudden, anything on the left side of the screen caused me to feel nauseous. For example, if there was only one person talking, and he was standing on the left part of the screen, it was incredibly hard to watch. It was as if I wanted the person to be in the middle or right part of the screen. Strange I know, but just desperate for an answer.

This problem mainly occurs when looking at some kind of screen (computer screen, TV, mirror, ect.) At first I thought it had something to do with an inner ear disorder, maybe throwing me off balance, but there hasn't been any dizziness, just nauseous. Is there anything you can think of that could be causing this? It just seems that anytime I turn my head to look to the left, it's causing me to have an un easy feeling. I recently had a cat scan, and went to an ENT, and both came out normal.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Sorry, my computer shut down. Is there anything that you may know that could cause this?

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Sorry for the impatience. This has been something that has caused me to feel absolutely miserable, basically thinking that this could be permanent, and that I wouldn't be able to watch TV with my family any more, ect.

Dr. Rick :

Your symptoms are, as you already know, very strange. One thing that I believe would be helpful is to explore your visual field.

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

So just go to an eye specialist? Sorry, I'm extremely nervous, and depressed over this issue, and can't seem to find anything to help.

Dr. Rick :

I would start with a Humphrey visual field using the 60-2 program and, if this was normal, use a manual goldman perimeter. It is very possible that you might have a subtle visual field defect.

Dr. Rick :

I also agree that a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist, perhaps a neuro-ophthalmologist, would also be good.

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

And what does that mean exactly? Sorry to keep asking...the subtle visual field defect I mean. Also, do you believe there's any chance that this problem could be fixed?

Dr. Rick :

a visual field defect would be an area of your normal field of vision (left to right, up and down) that has either an area of decreased sensitivity (things seem "strange" when projected into that area) or are a blind area. This may not show up on routine vision testing etc.

Dr. Rick :

Before we can know if anything can be done we have to figure out what is causing it :)

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Ha, sorry I know that was a dumb question on my part. Just trying to find anything that could at least calm me down slightly. Basically been pacing around the house, trying to avoid these panic attacks.

Dr. Rick :

This would also be something that a regular MD or an ENT would possibly miss.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand how you feel.....especially since no answers are forthcoming. Don't give up yet. See a neuro-ophthalmologist; they would be able to do a tangent screen visual field test (old fashioned, manual way of testing visual fields) that is very sensitive for field cuts and small areas of decreased sensitivity.

Dr. Rick :

Also, neuro-ophthalmologists are used to dealing with out of the ordinary presentations of visual function that the regular doctors don't know what to do with....that is why they went into that field.

Dr. Rick :

still there?\

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Yes, sorry was reading and googling the information you gave me.

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Thank you for everything, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Dr. Rick :

Multi-tasking.....the wave of the future :o)

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Haha.

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck with this. Don't get too stressed yet, I bet a cause will be found for your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-l6pupvso- :

Thanks again!