Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After orgasm I have visual disturbances that last about 20

After orgasm I have visual disturbances that last about 20 minutes. The peripheral vision in my right eye becomes blurred and looks almost like the static on a television set. It looks as though I can be seeing the blood flow. It is very bright, blocks my vision and moves around sometimes (from one location of vision to another). What on earth is this?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

do you have any medical problems or take any medicine? Does this happen with every orgasm and, if so, when did it start? How long does this visual event last?

JACUSTOMER-fz9ymube- :

I do not take any medicines. Yes it does happen every time. Its been about one year since the onset...and it happened one other time when my heart started racing out of fear....but other than that it has been limited to only post-orgasm. It lasts about 20-30 minutes

Dr. Rick :

Is there a history of migraines in either yourself or your immed. family?

JACUSTOMER-fz9ymube- :

someone once suggested an occular migrane (?) but it is not at all painfull. I do not know of any history of migraines in my family...and I dont have them (unless of course this is one).

Dr. Rick :

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

JACUSTOMER-fz9ymube- :

so....nothing to worry about then?

Dr. Rick :

These event can be brought on by a number of stimuli......stress, transient increase in blood pressure (which occurs with orgasm and racing heart), not enough sleep etc.

Dr. Rick :

I would bet, given that you have had no other signs or symptoms in over a year that is safe for you to continue to have orgasms :) All kidding aside, I really don't think this is a sign of any serious underlying problems that you need to be worried about.

JACUSTOMER-fz9ymube- :

Whew! :) can I expect it to become more frequent? during work-outs ect?

Dr. Rick :

No. I wouldn't think so, but if it does a complete exam by an internal medicine physician should be able to sort things out.....or, if you desire, you could see a neurologist. But, once again, I wouldn't worry about it.

JACUSTOMER-fz9ymube- :

Thanks Doctor...you just saved me an embarassing trip to the doctor's office. Have a great weeken!

JACUSTOMER-fz9ymube- :

d

Dr. Rick :

You too. Have a great holiday season

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k