Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

My eyes feel very dry and gritty for the past 2 months. I

Customer Question

My eyes feel very dry and gritty for the past 2 months. I wake up and they are puffy mostly below and the tissue looks swollen. I got tested for allergies and it isn't it. They water a lot in the mornings but that is the only time. They feel heavy and at night it seems like they dry out more the minute I lay down. What can this be? I had a blood test for thyroid and it came back negative. I can't stand my eyes feeling this way becuase I work on a computer all day long and it makes it hard to concentrate.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Your symptoms are quite classical of dry eyes and you should have felt better with the lubricating eye drops you had used( not sure for how long you have used the drops ). I suggest that you restart the use of lubricating eye drops such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for a month atleast before you see results. You can add an eye ointment at bedtime such as lacrilube.The causes of dry eyes are many but one of the aggravating factors is sitting in front of the computer for long/ long hours of reading or writing. All these result in reduced frequency of blinking of eyes thus allowing more evapouration of the tears. Lubricating eye drops help by replenishing the lost tears. It will benefit to blink more especially when on the computer.

An inflammation of the lids called as blepharitis can also be causative of dry eyes and can cause swollen lids. Warm compresses help to reduce the symptoms. A gentle lid scrub helps to reduce the pent up secretions in the lids especially with diluted baby shampoo.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would dry eye also make you feel like there is something in your eyes and cause you to feel when you blink? For puffy swollen eyelids, if I use warm compresses and was with baby shampoo, how long should I do this before I see results? Also, wouldn't my eyes be crusty? There are a little in the mornings but that's the only time. They remain swollen and tight all of the time.
Yes, grittiness can be a symptom of dry eyes.
You will need to try out the said treatment for swollen eyelids for atleast 2 weeks before you begin to see results and can continue for another 2 weeks if you begin to feel better.
If you do not get much relief with the swollen lids, then I believe you will need a detailed evaluation of the eyes by an ophthalmologist in order to detect the root cause. A blood test for thyroid function test would be beneficial especially in case of refractory edema of the lids.

Thank you.