Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, Ive had a sharp, scratchy sensation in my right eye for

Hi, I've had a sharp, scratchy sensation in my right eye for ~2 wks. Went to an opthalmologist 10 days ago and she said that the texture of my upper right eyelid is "like cobblestones." The left upper eyelid has "one cobblestone" but the right eyelid is much worse. Her theory is that there may have been a foreign object in my eye (an eyelash or whatever) but even though it's gone now the eyelid is still irritated. It's VERY dry here in Tucson, Arizona (6% humidity). She prescribed some anti-inflammatory eyedrops (Ketorolac Tromethamine) which I have been using 2x daily. I also bought some Systane liquid gel moisturizing drops. The gel drops are soothing, but the prescription has not done anything whatsoever. I do not wear contacts, although I did for many yrs before I got RK in both eyes 20 yrs ago. It still feels like there's a sharp foreign body adhered to my eyelid, and it seems like it's scraping my eye every time I blink. It's especially painful if I squeeze my eyes tightly. I do not have health insurance other than catastrophic so I don't want to go back to the opthlamologist. I already paid $100 for the visit and $75 for the scrip. Thanks for your help!
Hi. I can help you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great, standing by

It does sound like you might be having some type of allergic reaction also. It is unlikely that the ophthalmologist would have missed a condition called Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis, which can occur in contact lens users.

The drop she gave you should help. I would also try cool compresses and cleaning your eyes with baby shampoo on your fingers in the shower. To do this put the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes and scrub back and forth across your eyelids.

If thing don't improve in a few days, say Monday at the latest, you may need a stronger eye drop such as Pred Forte 1% for a few days.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thx, OK.

What type of allergic reaction? As in cats or similar?

What do you think she means by "cobblestone" texture?

GPC is from an allergy to the actual proteins that build up on your contact lenses, although like I said, an ophthalmologist would not be likely to miss that one....

It could be allergies to anything, usually it is impossible to find the offending agent. The lid scrubs will help a lot by getting your meibomium glands working at 100% and keeping "gunk" from building up on your lashes etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your time. Why would only one eye be having a reaction? And why does it feel like it's scraping when I blink? It's a very sharp pinpoint of pain in one spot, not a general irritation.

My eyes are super sensitive to everything - sunlight, glare, cat hair, cold air, makeup, and especially eye creams. I have to leave the room if someone's cutting a onion! Hopefully the baby shampoo will be sufficiently gentle. I used to get a lot of gunk in my eyes in the morning but I don't anymore. Now when I wake up my eyes water for about an hour. Very annoying. Is that from having dry eyes?

I will look up "meibomium gland" to see what that means.

yes, that can be from dry eyes. I would also use natural tears during the day. Baby shampoo is very gentle, that is why is is for babies ;o)

You could use the unsented baby shampoo just to be sure.

One eye could have a reaction, and any roughness of the inside of your upper lid, like from what the ophthalmologist found, would have that scraping, foreign body feeling.

Have a great holiday season......