Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am searching for ERs in Alabama with opthamologists or opthalmic

I am searching for ERs in Alabama with opthamologists or opthalmic surgeons on call. Where can I find this information? I am having little to no luck searching online.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you looking for ER's in the entire state?

Customer :

My optometrist told me that what I experienced this week is a posterior vitreous detachment. I am concerned about emergency eye care, especially with the upcoming holidays. I am looking for emergency care throughout Alabama.

Dr. Rick :

My subspeciality interest is retina. Perhaps I can help you to decide if you should be worried. If not, where exactly in Alabama will you be for the holidays and I can see what I can find out.

Customer :

My optometrist told me that most retinal detachments occurring after vitreous detachments will occur within the first 30 days. I will be in the Montgomery, AL and Opelika/Auburn, AL areas. I also travel throughout Alabama, and am concerned about care when I'm on the road.

Dr. Rick :

Your optometrist is mistaken about the risk/timing of retinal issues during a PVD in progress. Are you having a lot of flashes of light? Floaters? A lot of them, or increasing in numbers recently? Are you extremely nearsighted?

Dr. Rick :

Montgomery and Auburn will have many ophthalmologists available and should also have retina surgeons to repair any detachment that may occur

Customer :

I am extremely near-sighted, my prescription in both eyes is over -7. I saw a flash of light only one time; I promptly made an appointment. I see floaters all the time, and I did notice more after the flash. Otherwise my vision has not changed. My concern is to have a name to give ER personnel or to go to an ER that has someone on call if retinal detachment should occur during the holiday or during odd hours.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have had a PVD for quite some time already as you have a long history of floaters. This would be consistent with your high myopia. One flash of light a high risk of retinal detachment does not cause......as Yoda would say :) One thing I would consul you on is to start having your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist. As a retina doctor I can tell you that an optometrist, no matter how good they may seem, has no idea what they are looking at when they dilated a persons eyes. The for sure can not diagnose a peripheral retinal tear or hole that may lead to a retinal detachment if not properly diagnosed and treated early.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you have to worry about a pending retinal detachment over the holidays to the point that it is necessary to map out the location of retina surgeons for your travels.

Dr. Rick :

However, if you would feel better, I can call some of my colleagues in montgomery and Auborn to see who is on on call. It would be impossible to do the same for your entire route.....

Customer :

I would appreciate names, especially for the Montgomery and Auburn/Opelika area, not just for emergencies but for routine care as you've noted.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I will have to make some calls and check around. It might take me a few hours as I'm at work right now and have to get to patients again. I can get to it for sure at Noon central time.

Dr. Rick :

I'll switch to Q&A mode and then, once I've got some names for you, post them back here under this question. Will that work for you?

Customer :

Yes. Thank you so much.

Dr. Rick :

ok. I'll leave further information here..... later today.

Customer :

Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
For the Montgomery area:

Dr. Massey will be on call during the holidays. He is a Fellowship trained retina specialist with Retina Specialists of Alabama,XXXXX#314 Montgomery, Alabama 36111

I spoke with his staff today. You can contact him at:(NNN) NNN-NNNNand he can meet you at his office for any emergency evaluation and treatment you would require.

I'm still working on the others.....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
There are no retina specialists in Auburn, however Dr. Gregory Sepanski is in town. His address is 868 N. Dean Road, Suite C, Auburn, AL 36830. I spoke with Elizabeth at his office, and while the doctor will be out of town from Dec 20 to Dec 26th, they will be answering the phone and could get you in to see a colleague of his on an emergency basis at any time. He can be reached at(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
The closes retina specialists are at: Eye Injury MD, Retinal Specialists of Alabama,XXXXXSouth, Birmingham, Al 35205(NNN) NNN-NNNN I spoke to their office and they will have a retina specialist on call at all times and would be able to see you on an emergency basis if needed.

I hope this information was helpful and you have a wonderful Holiday season.