Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had a cold sore in my in my left eye for over one year the

I have had a cold sore in my in my left eye for over one year
the doctor at Colchester Hosp has been treating me with zovirax 3% ointment
and 10ml predinsol 0.5% drops,there is no improvement he has informed me
there is no other treatment and there is no cure.
I am a 70 year old woman.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in the affected eye? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine? Did the doctor tell you that you have a large scar on your cornea?

Customer :

yes my vision is impaired in that eye I can always feel like there is something in my eye

Customer :

Yes my vision seems to be getting worse in affected eye I can sometimes

Customer :

see the sore in my eye near the pupil

Customer :

I am on medication for high blood pressure and statins

Customer :

doctor did not mention anything about scaring

Customer :

.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having recurrent corneal erosions related to your herpetic corneal disease.

Dr. Rick :

your ophthalmologist is correct in that there is no cure for the herpes virus that is attacking your cornea, however, recurrent episodes can be treated and any resulting visual limiting corneal scaring can be addressed with a number of therapies, depend upon virus activity, depth and location of the scar, associated anterior uveitis and the health of the corneal endothelium.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing.....I will stand by

Customer :

yes my vision is impaired in that eye I can feel there is something in my eye all the time some times I can see the sore near my pupil I am on medication for high blood pressure and take statins my doctor has never mentioned anything about scarring. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

The foreign body sensation is most likely from the infection. There are other treatments available in addition zovirax and prednisone.

Dr. Rick :

Oral acyclovir 2 gms/day in divided doses has been shown to be effective as has newer agents such as famciclovir and valacyclovir

Dr. Rick :

Also, corneal transplant is always an option if needed, even though the virus tends to recur in the graft tissue. I would suggest that you consult with a fellowship corneal specialist for a complete eye exam and treatment options.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k