Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a eye irritation and I had the samething last year.

I have a eye irritation and I had the samething last year. So I used tobramycin ophthalmic about 9pm. I wear contact most of the time, but have been wearing my glasses today, about 1030pm I forgot I put drops in and went to take a shower. I have to use my contacts to shower, so I put my contacts in. At 1230 midnight I took my contacts out. They were hard to get out and rolled up like a cinnomon roll. I knew it was from the eye drops I forgot I put in. I rinsed the contacts and put them in a case of solution, to sit flat in the solution over night. Did I ruin my contacts??? They are yearly. I hate the other types. The contacts are expensive due to my steep cornea. So what do I do??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

As long as your contacts didn't rip and they have unrolled OK, they should be fine. I do not believe you have damaged them in any way.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How long should it take the contacts to unroll? I was hoping by morning. I checked and hour after putting them in solution and they were only half unrolled.

You may be able to gently help them to unroll now that they have come part way. Just be careful. If you don't want to take the risk of tearing them, they should unroll in a few more hours.