Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Have itching on area outsde eyes near nose. Also right eye

Customer Question

Have itching on area outsde eyes near nose. Also right eye has been getting cloudy for the last week in the evening. No distortion, but like a film. It comes and goes. Today was the first time I've had it in the morning. No pain is present. Could this be an allergy? i have tried flushing the eye and eyedrops to no avail
i
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on.

JACUSTOMER-w9bmb5em- :

What are the things you think are going on?

Dr. Rick :

One is allegies, the other is dry eyes and the third is blepharitis....

JACUSTOMER-w9bmb5em- :

ok, I know about the first two, but what is that last one?

Dr. Rick :

First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversable) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have effect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in a week or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

JACUSTOMER-w9bmb5em- :

Yes, it does. Gunk is the only word to describe the film. It's like someone put a coat of vaseline over my eye. As I am writing this, it has cleared again. This is the third time today.

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Sounds like I, at least, got this answer correct :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a wonderful Holiday Season. Thanks for giving me the chance to help you today.

JACUSTOMER-w9bmb5em- :

Dr. Rick, thanks so much. I do have an eye appointment today. Forewarned is forarmed as they say!

Dr. Rick :

Truth!

Dr. Rick :

Take care...and don't buy any of those "lid scrub pads" Fingers and baby soap are cheaper and work better....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k