Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi my name is Lorena Garcia. I have been looking through the

Hi my name isXXXXX have been looking through the web and finding answers to the nodule I have on my left eye. I look at some pictures with Pinguecula and it seems close but they say the growth will not touch the iris. Well mine is touching the iris.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

What you have is called a pterygium.

Customer :

what is the treatment?

Dr. Rick :

It is not a cancer or anything to be concerned about. It is caused by sun exposure over the course of your lifetime. If it is bothering you, or has grown so far across your cornea to cause visual problems it can be surgically removed. They tend, however, to grow back.

Dr. Rick :

here is a link to a great article about them:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygium_(conjunctiva)

Customer :

thank you so much for the information I will go to the site and read up on this. Before we get offline I just want to ask once again I looked at pictures of both and I am somewhere in between. The nodule looks like pinguecula but it is ebbing into my iris

Dr. Rick :

pinguecula do not grow onto the cornea......when it starts to do that it is a pterygium. Some sources think they both are part of a continuum of disease, some sources think they are separate conditions.

Dr. Rick :

If it is not very far onto your cornea or causing you much of a problem I would not have surgery to remove it.....they tend to grow back.

Customer :

oh okay that makes sense. Well thank you very much for answering my question. Now I can let my son who asked me tonight what was wrong with my eye. I

Dr. Rick :

It was my pleasure.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Customer :

Thank you and God bless you hope you have a blessed evening.

Dr. Rick :

you to. Have a wonderful Christmas Holiday Season.