Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

What causes a white shadow on the top of the iris of the e

What causes a white shadow on the top of the iris of the eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

JACUSTOMER-vrcocekg- :

Yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Is the white just on the top portion of the eye or like a ring around the iris?
Is it one or both eyes?

JACUSTOMER-vrcocekg- :

The white is largely on the top of both eyes (the width of 1/16th) and seems to start spreading down the edge of eyes.

Dr. James :

Any pain?
Any change in vision?

JACUSTOMER-vrcocekg- :

I had an eye exam 11/2009 and at that time the Dr. told me that the white can not be reversed, it was a change in my eyes. I also have some floaters now.

Dr. James :

The white on the edge of the cornea is common seen as people get older. It is commonly called an arcus senilis. This is caused by lipid deposition in the cornea.

Dr. James :

It is of no significance.

Dr. James :

Though at it can be unsightly.

Dr. James :

You should get an exam since it has been about 1 year for a recheck and ensure there are no other problems.

JACUSTOMER-vrcocekg- :

Do you think I need to see a specialist?

Dr. James :

An eye doctor, optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Dr. James :

Regarding the floaters, you have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

JACUSTOMER-vrcocekg- :

Do the floaters mean any thing else may be wrong?

Dr. James :

see my response above. usually not a problem but new floaters can sometimes be the result of a retinal problem.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

JACUSTOMER-vrcocekg- :

No, thank you.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

Hello?