Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What is the best treatment for a chalazion and how long does

What is the best treatment for a chalazion and how long does it take to go away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

You are currently doing the most important treatment for a chalazion which is hot compresses, but you may need to alter how you're doing them. The hot compresses should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning yourself, for 10 minutes each time, 4x/day. By doing this, most of these will resolve without the need for a minor procedure by an ophthalmologist to open them up. Sometimes, it takes 2-3 weeks of doing this before they will open up, but most do; if not, then opening it up with a minor procedure is what will need to be done.

Occasionally, the inflammation surrounding the chalazion gets severe enough that an infection ensues. The eyelid surrounding the bump would be red, swollen, and tender if that were the case. In such cases either a topical or oral antibiotic would be in order to assist in treating the chalazion, but as a rule, chalazia do not require antibiotics baseline.

Does that make sense? Does that help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about information I did not address?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions by pressing the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows the funds that the JustAnswer website has collected from you in the form of a deposit to be released and allotted to me in return for helping you with your question.

I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.