Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had left eye ( non dominant eye ) cataract surgery 2 months

I had left eye ( non dominant eye ) cataract surgery 2 months ago with -1.75 undercorrection. Bofore I do my right eye ( dominant eye ) with the same undercorrection, I want to find out why my left eye is still a little blurry even with "corrective lense" when I close my right non surgery eye. Will it balance out and clear vision when I have the right eye cataract surgery done?

i saw more halo on my left eye even with corrective lense -1.75 and 1.00 astigmastism.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. It is a good one. Now that you are two months past your surgery in the left eye, I would've expected the large majority of the post-operative inflammation that can sometimes cause blurry vision to have dissipated by now. And you're correct, with the appropriate glasses correction in front of that eye, you really should not be having blurry vision in that eye.

There are a few things that can be causing this. First, sometimes the shell that holds the lens implant starts to cloud over after cataract surgery (this can happen anywhere from a few weeks, to months, to years after the surgery). This can cause blurry vision up close and at distance, glare problems, and difficulty reading. This is something, though, that your ophthalmologist would be able to see on an exam. This is called posterior capsular opacification. If this is the case, a straightforward, painless laser procedure can be done within minutes to clear that problem up.

Secondly, sometimes people have swelling within the retina after cataract surgery (more common in diabetics, but not exclusive to them) which, despite having a nice, new, clear lens, can still cause blurry vision. This should be visible to the ophthalmologist on your exam, and/or visible by scanning the retina with an OCT machine. This usually goes away over a few weeks to months with the aid of anti-inflammatory drops.

Lastly, just having dry eyes (which is very common after surgery) can cause blurry vision even when everything else seems to look and be functioning correctly in the eye. It would not hurt for you to start using artificial tears 4x/day in that eye, being consistent about it, for 3-4 weeks to see if that provides some relief. There can be signs of dry eye on the eye doctor's exam, but sometimes it is still there when the signs are underwhelming on exam.

If the left eye is blurry despite the new, appropriate glasses prescription in front of it, getting the right one will not balance it out and clear the vision in that eye. It should be clear independent of the other eye.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions by pressing the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows the funds that the JustAnswer website has collected from you in the form of a deposit to be released and allotted to me in return for helping you with your question.

I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.