Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

ankle..very next day I began having vision problems on my left eye

Hello, on November 20, 2010 I was injected with Kenalog steroid for an ankle injury. The very next day I began having vision problems on my left eye. Since that day I have been experiencing blindness spot on the center of my left eye. It's a blurry darker spot that prevents me from focusing. Fine print appears smaller with left eye and there is a oss of sharpness of vision. Help!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I know it's probably got you spooked. From your symptoms it sounds as though there is a problem with the retina. My suspicion is that there is some leaking or swelling in the retina and this is often due to an entity called central serous retinopathy. However, there may be other problems with the retina that can be due to leaking or bleeding.

I would say that it is quite unlikely that the ankle injection of Kenalog was associated with this vision deficit, other than a temporal association; I would say that the onset of this happening to your eye is likely more coincidental to the shot in your ankle.

Regardless, I do think it would be important to see your ophthalmologist as soon as you are able to determine what may be happening in the retina.

Does that help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions I can answer?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions by pressing the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows the funds that the JustAnswer website has collected from you in the form of a deposit to be released and allotted to me in return for helping you with your question.

I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.