Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have had an allergy for years which maeks me sneeze. Now

I have had an allergy for years which maeks me sneeze. Now it has all but disappeared, or turned into an eye allergy in which my eyes tear and fog over. Benadryl helps somewhat. I also use Pataday, which doesn't help much. Can you suggest any eye drops or medication which would help more? You helped me a great deal on getting rid of my eye irritation. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Hello and thanks for your question.

In my experience, if it is a true eye allergy, then Pataday works remarkably well for most people. Do the eyes itch? The hallmark symptom of allergies in the eyes is eye itching, usually worse in the corners of the eyes, and often becomes quite intense. Allergies in the eyes can also cause swelling of the eyelids, burning, tearing, and produce a white, stringy mucus that often acts ropy when it is removed from the eyes.

However, if there is no significant eye itching, I would suspect that your symptoms are not due to eye allergies, but rather to a tear film problem such as dry eyes and/or blepharitis. In these cases, using artificial tears 4x/day for a few weeks as well as using hot compresses in both eyes in the morning for 5-10 minutes often times produces significant results. It may seem backwards to think that the eyes can be dry when they tear so much, but often the tearing is a reflex tearing as a result of the dry eyes and the reflex tearing is not sufficient to hydrate the eyes significantly.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions by pressing the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows the funds that the JustAnswer website has collected from you in the form of a deposit to be released and allotted to me in return for helping you with your question.

I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.