Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My wife has a eye problem. She has dull throbbing pain in and

My wife has a eye problem. She has dull throbbing pain in and around the eye. Spinning flashing lights in the shape of a fan. Orbs of light that flash in and out, farther and closer. Smokey ring around the outer vision, gets better as the day progresses. Floaters, always. Misshapen pupil. This just started a couple of days ago. She has been to a doctor here in Fairbanks Ak. They have treated her for uveal inflamation. The meds used to treat her are Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic and Cyclopentolate Hydrchloride Ophthalmic. They have not found a cause and this is a recurring problem. The eye pain gets worse as the day progreses. More to a sharp stinging.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your wife has anterior uveitis. There are many causes for this condition and, if she has had multiple episodes or if the uveitis has some specific findings, a systemic workup is indicated. Many times a cause is not found and the condition is treated symptomatically. The treatment you have outlined is the correct one for anterior uveitis.

Dr. Rick :

Are there any specific questions I can answer for you concerning your wife's specific treatment, workup or condition?

Dr. Rick :

I see you are not at your computer. We can continue to address your question using the Q&A system.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Is her uveitis also involving the back of her eye (vitreous), or is it just in the front (anterior chamber)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both. Depends on how much reading, light she is exposed to.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The treatment your wife is getting is appropriate for anterior uveitis. If it has spread into the vitreous she may require an injection of steroid around, behind or in her eye, depending upon the clinical findings.

If she has had multiple episodes of anterior uveitis her ophthalmologist will do blood work and other tests to see if there are any systemic diseases that may be contributing to her eye disease.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest