Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Treatment fo retinal vein occlusion

Customer Question

Treatment fo retinal vein occlusion
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm assuming by your initial comments that you would like to know what the various treatments are for a retinal vein occlusion.

That partially depends on what type of retinal vein occlusion this is. If it is a branch retinal vein occlusion, the only treatment that usually applies to this is laser to the part of the retina that has swelling if it has not subsided on its own within a few months. Injections of steroids and/or newer medicines are making their way into more common treatments for swelling from this problem.

If it is a central vein occlusion, then there generally are no immediate treatments unless it is caught quickly after it happens. There can be swelling in the retina in these cases as well, but laser has not been found to be as successful in treating this swelling as it has been in branch retinal vein occlusions. That being said, if there is significant damage to the retina from the lack of blood flow, then a laser is sometimes needed to discourage the formation of new blood vessels that may grow and cause a problem.

This is kind of a quick and dirty generalized bit about treatment of retinal vein occlusions. Do you have any specific questions that I can answer? Is this what you wanted to hear?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions by pressing the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows the funds that the JustAnswer website has collected from you in the form of a deposit to be released and allotted to me in return for helping you with your question.

I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are there any injection in the eye thag can be used?
There are steroid injections and anti-VEGF injections, both of which can be used in retinal vein occlusions. Do you have any other questions?