Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

type 1 diabetes..she rupture some blood vessels in her eye

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes since she was 6 years old. She is now 28. A couple
days ago she got the flu and in the violent vomiting, she rupture some blood vessels in her
eye. The Opthamologist wants to remove the vitrous fluid, put a band around the eye and use
the laser to touch up around the retina. He says the stretching of vitrous fluid is causing the retina to be pulled and although it is not detached, he says it is at risk to do so. My question is, what are the alternatives to this surgery. Right now the blood in the fluid is making it such that my daughter cannot see well. She sees better in the morning after the debris has settled. Will the body absorb the bloon anyway. I'm just wondering is there are other less invasive ways to fix this.
Hi. Our chat system is on the blink. We can use the Q&A system to work on your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got your message
Is the ophthalmologist someone who specializes in diseases of the retina?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. They perform a large number of laser procedures and is a retina specialist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What else can I offer for info?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still there?
Ok. They are the best trained ophthalmologists to deal with your daughters condition. For a large vitreous bleed with retinal traction I agree: A vitrectomy, with a gas/fluid exchange along with a scleral buckle and endolaser is the best treatment option.

There really are no good options. You could wait for the blood to clear on its own, but as the blood resorb it pulls more on the retina....leads to a detachment. It is much better to stop a detachment before it starts then to try to fix it after the fact.

Retina is my sub specialty interest and I treat cases like your daughters all the time. From what you have told me she should have the surgery.

Does this make sense to you?
The surgery the doctors are recommending is about as invasive as eye surgery gets, but it will address all the risk factors for a retinal detachment she is facing and give her the best chance of retaining her good vision when everything is said and done.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.