Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I need my lenses replaced as I am over 70. There were 3 options

I need my lenses replaced as I am over 70. There were 3 options presented to me.
1 - A lenses for far sighted or near sighted in both eyes.
2 - One of each is a different eye
3 - Progressive correcting both problems in both eyes.

1 & 2 would be covered by insurance. 3rd option I would have to buy the lenses as they are not covered by insurance at this time. This being the most satisfactory solution.

Your comments, and what should I expect to pay per lens for option 3?

Thanks:
Ernest Arvesen
XXX-XXX-XXXX [email protected]
1295 Lake Colony Dr.
Marietta, GA 30068
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today. Email address are blocked by the system....I only see a bunch of x's

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Dr. Rick :

can't use personal email.....all I get is a bunch of xx's. But we can use this chat to review your question.

Dr. Rick :

Have you ever tried monovision with contact lenses where one eye is for near and one is for far vision?

JACUSTOMER-8bry81rw- :

I never did monovision, but I do understand the concept.

Dr. Rick :

and the progressive IOL should be about $2,200 extra per eye

Dr. Rick :

The thing about doing monovision with an IOL is that it's a lot like sugar in your coffee: If you don't like what you've done, there is almost no going back...

Dr. Rick :

I find that with choice 1, the vast majority of patients prefer to be near sighted and use glasses for distance when needed. This avoids glasses for computer and reading.

Dr. Rick :

monovision is what I believe you ment by choice #2

Dr. Rick :

Here's a nice article about multifocal IOLs:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.lasiksurgerynews.com/news/multifocal-iols.shtml

JACUSTOMER-8bry81rw- :

I was told that the new type lenses were well received and probably the best for my situation. I have always had some stignatisum. The cost of each lense is $2,000 x 2 = $4,000 for both with additioal $350 for a correction process for the stignatisum.Price seams like it is in the ball park just wonder if it is worth it. My wife had it done some years ago and wears glasses for reading and is very happy.

Dr. Rick :

I've had excellent results with the Acrysof Restore lens. It is my "goto" progressive IOL and I charge $2,300 per eye extra for it.

JACUSTOMER-8bry81rw- :

All being = cost you would go with Acrysof Resore lens?

Dr. Rick :

It is worth it as long as you understand that there is a trade off: You loose contrast sensitivity and some visual acuity at distance, esp at night. For most people, they don't even notice this loss.

Dr. Rick :

I've been implanting that lens for a number of years and it is the one I would have put in my eye.

Dr. Rick :

You have an advantage in that your wife had the procedure done and is able to give you an honest opinion about her experience......not every patient gets that kind of insight before making this important decision.

JACUSTOMER-8bry81rw- :

With choice 1 I would were glasses when out side. One benefit it does give one some physical eye protection and there is no out of pocket expense.

JACUSTOMER-8bry81rw- :

Choice 1 one must choose to were glasses for near or for far.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent point. Also, choice 1 has been the standard for care for over 4 decades with excellent results......why mess with a good thing?

JACUSTOMER-8bry81rw- :

It is a big decision and appreicate your oppion. I hope I can print this out so my wife can read it.

Dr. Rick :

that is correct. You also have to remember that the calculations for where your final vision will end up -- near or far -- are complicated and sometimes you don't end up where you were expecting. It is not like saying "I want to be a minus 1.75 after surgery" and then getting upset if you end up at a minus 1.25, does that make sense?

Dr. Rick :

yes, you can print it out....I'm not sure as I don't know what the screen looks like on your side but there should be a "file" tab that has a pull down print option on the upper LH corner.

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you. Have a wonderful holiday season.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k