Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i wear contact lenses i have poor vision -8 and -6 my right

i wear contact lenses i have poor vision -8 and -6 my right eye is not lazy but my left wanders outwards. can i have surgery to fix this? plus i have astigmatism will this effect this? thanks shaun
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Customer :

can i get surgery for my slight lazy eye

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Customer :

hi

Dr. Rick :

Yes, eye muscle surgery is available for eyes that turn out. If it only turns out once in a while, however, surgery wouldn't be indicated since the surgery would turn your eye inwards all the time, if you get what I mean....

Dr. Rick :

Hi are you still there?

Customer :

so its not realy worth having

Dr. Rick :

no, not really I'm afraid.

Customer :

ive read various blogs on the internet that say its sucessful tho

Dr. Rick :

But you could talk to an ophthalmologist who does muscle surgery, usually a pediatric ophthalmologist, and see what they say....

Dr. Rick :

It needs to be all the time.

Customer :

or it is realy when i look in the mirror it does not focus straight on

Dr. Rick :

that is because the surgery does a certain amount of correction. This amount is the same all the time, so if your amount of eye turning out varies during the day, there will be times that the surgery is to much or too little.

Dr. Rick :

A pedes ophthalmologist can tell you if it is a muscle imbalance or just how it looks in the mirror after a complete eye exam.

Customer :

how do i find one? my optician reckons im paraniod

Dr. Rick :

where you located? I can check with the American Academy of Ophthalmology for a pedes ophth near you if you would like

Dr. Rick :

Oh...you are in the UK. Are you anywhere near Moorfields eye hospital or one of their branches?

Customer :

or england lol, barnsley south yorks

Customer :

near sheffield

Customer :

city

Customer :

i can google it

Dr. Rick :

ok. That is what I would do. Moorfields is the best eye group in the UK, and possibly, the world. They will give you the straight up truth about what can be done.

Customer :

cheers XXXXX XXXXX 4 your help

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Always fun to chat with a friend from across the pond

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Customer :

lol love america went 2 vegas last year

Dr. Rick :

Have a great Holiday Season

Dr. Rick :

Did you win?

Customer :

na they did lol worth every penny have a good christmas

Dr. Rick :

I'm in Northern Wisconsin where we've got 5 inches of new snow so far today and it is still coming down hard...

Dr. Rick :

you too. Best of luck to you.

Customer :

cheers bye

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest