Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello ! Every morning when I wake ( with my face in pillow

Hello !
Every morning when I wake ( with my face in pillow ) and I open my left eye ... nothing but clear vision. If I open with my right eye-only ( with left part of face in pillow ) the whole wall ( in the right eye-only vision ) is green with hundreds of red roundish-square spots. As I stare at the wall ( light beige ) the pattern disappears. At first I thought I was dreaming, but it is happening all the time now when I wake. Should I be concerned ? Thanks much for any help. No history of migraines. p.s. this is my "good" eye that has a much lighter eyeglass lens than my left eye. This started about a month ago. Just in right eye only.
Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

So, let me make sure I understand you. The eye that has been mashed down in the pillow is the eye with the green/round/square spots and the other eye -- that was not in the pillow, is fine? Did I get that right? Also, do you wear plus powered glasses (hyperopia) or negative powered glasses (myopia)? Any medical problems, take any meds, or have any other symptoms?

JACUSTOMER-39m1926d- :

Noooo ........ the eye that is in pillow is fine. That leaves one eye exposed when I wake. The exposed eye -if my left one - is fine - clear vision. It is when the left side of my face is in the pillow and the right eye is exposed - that is when the probs occur. If I wake with both eyes opening at the same time-all is well. Just when exposed right eye opens first - then the pattern on the wall which disappears after a few seconds. This is soooo bizarre !! I have bifocals - for distance and reading but am not wearing them when awakening. Have controlled high blood pressure - taking two meds for that - a potassium supplement - calcium supplement - and synthroid for hypothyroidism. Also take temazepam for sleep. I have been taking these meds for years - no probs. This all started a month ago. Oh, one last thing - my right eye has been blurring in and out for about two years. Nothing found at last eye exam - 12 months ago. Just a quick blur - then all is well. Happens so much I don't even notice it anymore unless I am focusing on something. Continued from last eyeglasses and new lenses. Not extremely bothersome. Hope this info helps ! : )

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thanks for helping me to get the facts straight. You are right....this is weird, but interesting......

Dr. Rick :

I have to wonder...why would everything be fine when you open both eyes at once? I have to think of something that connects the eyes. One thing that comes to mind, especially when you talk about that eye blurring in and out quickly for a few years is some type of accommodation problem.

Dr. Rick :

The chat system is acting up since you are not online. I'm going to switch to the Q&A mode but we can still "chat" if needed, it's just a little bit slower....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
As to the pattern and colors on the wall when you wake up that could be caused by increased intraocular pressure that occurs while you are asleep, a type of intermittent angle closure glaucoma.

To better evaluate things I would suggest a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist. During the exam it would be helpful to do a dry and then a "wet" refraction to unmask any hidden hyperopia (which can cause the in and out blurriness you talked about) as well as gonioscopy ( to evaluate for possible occludable angles that can lead to intermittent angle closure and the colors/specks on the wall).

It is notable that hyperopia and angle closure glaucoma can sometimes go hand in hand and therefor could, possibly, address both of your symptoms.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.