Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

problem with my vision yesterday, which has continued..right eye

I started having a problem with my vision yesterday, which has continued through today. I am experiencing a black dot which moves very rapidly, but it is only in my right eye. It appears and moves, for lack of a better description, like a fruit fly. Is this something that I need to be concerned about. As for my age, I am a 55 year old male. It also seems as if I am having a slight blurring in that eye as well, making it hard to focus at times.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed flashes of light in your peripheral vision in that eye?

JACUSTOMER-2akf7qmn- :

No flashes of light, just the floating/darting black spot and the blurry vision

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

I mention the flashes above as they are common, but not present in all cases. Since you are not having the flashes, your risk of retinal detachment is very low.

JACUSTOMER-2akf7qmn- :

Since I don't have an ophthalmologist, I will have to find one to make an appointment with.

Dr. Rick :

Floaters, by themselves, are not something to be real concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

That would be a good idea; sometime before Christmas would be fine....not a huge emergency in your case.

JACUSTOMER-2akf7qmn- :

Thanks for the help. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

k