Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what causes inability to visualize colors, forms, etc with

what causes inability to visualize colors, forms, etc with eyes closed? I see when I dream. but the closest I get to visuals with my eyes closed when awake are dark murky shifting shadows. It is like I don't have a visual memory.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I can help you tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Color vision requires the cone system, which requires daytime illumination. When your eyes are closed, only the rod system is working. Rods are used for dim illumination, side vision and motion detection. This is why you don't see color and forms when your eyes are closed.

Visualization exercises will not change the physiology of your eyes....

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If that is true then how do other people I know close their eys and see vivid, bright detailed colors and pictures?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

That is an excellent question....and, I must admit, I don't know.

It doesn't make physiologic sense that these people you know can see vivid detailed colors and pictures with their eyes closed....... but then it is a known fact that some individuals can do things that are not easily explained. I am very slow to poo poo things I don't understand -- if you do, you miss a chance to learn and grow.