Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

developed redness in my right eye..left eye is not involved..itching

Today, in less than 24 hours, I have developed redness in my right eye and a single, small, translucent blister on the lower eyelid at the base of the eyelashes. The left eye is not involved. There is no pain, itching, watering or blurred vision. In fact, my son noticed the red eye and brought my attention to it. What are the possible / probable causes? What is your advice regarding treatment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.