Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have a blocked tear duct without have an op what can i do

Customer Question

i have a blocked tear duct without have an op what can i do to rid of it
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been seen by an ophthalmologist? Which ducts are blocked? Do you have any medical problems or take any medications? Have you been treated for breast cancer?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
we can use Q&A to work on your question
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi dr rick i wrote in asking for help about a blocke4d tear duct but didnt get an answer

can u help please

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I can. Did you get my request for more info? I was wondering if you had been seen by an optometrist or an Ophthalmologist, which ducts are blocked, if you have any medical problems or take any medicine or have ever been treated for breast cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Eye drop and creams will not unblock a tear duct. If you can tell me more about your blockage I can give you more specific information about treatment options
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

my right tear duct is blocked i have not been seen by an Opthalmologist

a few years ago i got hit by a softball after some time my left tear duct blocked and it was operated on to open the duct could this be the cause of my right duct being blocked though that happened so long ago

i am not taking any medication and i am not having treatment for breast cancer

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like there is anatomical damage to the tear drainage system from the injury you had. The duct may have taken time to plug completely as scar tissue etc formed.

If testing shows a physical block deep inside the system, I am sorry to say, the best treatments involve surgery.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.