Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

have had fluttering in left ear and eye on and off all week

have had fluttering in left ear and eye on and off all week now suffering with severe head ache on left said and nausea?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed any loss of hearing or visual difficulties? Other then the fluttering, headache and nausea do you have any other physical complaints? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

no

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about this fluttering in your ear? Is it like that sound you can "hear" when you tightly clench your jaw? How about the fluttering in your eye?

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

fluttering in ear was like a flapping in the ear. eye fluttering was more toward bottom eye lid and was almost constant for two days.

Dr. Rick :

How is your headache now?

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

patient is sleeping now,woke him up to ask how head was feeling he said headache was better now

Dr. Rick :

Who is typing? Are you a caregiver etc?

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

mother

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Well, the eyelid twitching sound like myokymia. This is nothing to be worried about. When you talk of the ear, does his external ear feel like it is moving or just sounds like it is moving, if you get what I mean?

Dr. Rick :

And, in my book, "Mother" counts as caregiver :o)

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

fluttering is in the ear not external fluttering.once a mother always a caregiver

Dr. Rick :

That could be related to myokymia also, but I've not seen that myself before. Is your primary concern that the eye, ear and headaches are something new, could be all related and a sign of something serious? If so, what seems to be going on with your son that makes you feel this way?

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

my concern was that everything was happening on the left side and might be something serious

Dr. Rick :

I can see how you would be concerned about that. Let's take his issues one at a time: (I can't use carriage return on chat without sending.....)

Dr. Rick :

1. Twitching of eyelid. I believe this is myokymia. The vast majority of time it is nothing to be worried about. It is caused by too much caffeine, to much stress, to much anxiety, overwork and not enough sleep. I've had it myself and it normally resolves by itself. VERY RARELY it can be from bad things such a brainstem tumor or multiple sclerosis. Note the caps on this last statement......

Dr. Rick :

2. Ear fluttering. Could be from clenching his teeth (he may not be aware he is doing it), irritation of that little muscle that moves the ear bones (forgot the name of that muscle :) or maybe something that requires and ENT physician to figure out

Dr. Rick :

3. Headaches. When one one side of the head they are most likely due to migraines, muscular issues or sinus problems.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think all of these things point toward a serious underlying condition, but rather are problems related only in a temporal sense. Of course, the best way to be sure is to have a complete eye examination by an internal medicine MD. I would not recommend an ophthalmologist or ENT at this point. Does this make sense to you

Dr. Rick :

oops....I'm so used to typing "eye" before the word examination.....please strike that in #3 above....

Dr. Rick :

I noticed that you pushed the accept button early in our conversation. It was disabled by me at the time so you have not yet been charged for our talk

Dr. Rick :

still there?

JACUSTOMER-0feracc8- :

thank you for your input will follow up with physician if problem continues.thanks again and have a great weekend.