Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Good Afternoon Doc. I currently live in Scotland but for the

Good Afternoon Doc. I currently live in Scotland but for the past years I was teaching in Spain where I nursed a dog who had a bad eye infection. I unfortunately did not clean my fingers enough and contracted a conjuctivitus runny eye with sticky mucus. The doctor gave me eye drops and lotions to put into both eyes. This seemed to dry my eyes up, particularly the skin right in the corners of both eyes. One year later I still have the 'dry eyes' worse in the morning with bags on my eyelids from the corners of my eyes on the upper lid, almost as if you want to press them and release the puffiness. I have seen an Opthamologist who said there is no infection and suggested i wash my eyelids with baby shampoo which I did. Nothing helps, I hope you can. I am a Macrobiotic Counsellor and Cooking Teacher and have tried all sorts of home remedies from putting cotton wool with bancha tea on my eyelids to making cucumber eye masks. Many thanks for your help Marlene Watson-Tara, my email XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and my website is www.wellnessconsultant.co.uk
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

Yes Doc, I am here,

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your major concern as of now is the puffiness around the eyes or dry eyes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you been using any lubricating eye drops ?

Customer :

The puffiness looks awful and as i teach natural health care it makes me feel very self concious and it looks awful, also the dryness causes a little bit itchy sometimes

Customer :

Yes I have been using lubricating eye creams from the doctors but they have not helped

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry for so many questions, but I guess it helps to get a clearer picture of the problem. Is there any history of hypertension or diabetes? Where is the puffiness more noticed- upperlid( as though the brow is drooping down on the eye) or more on the lowerlid?

Customer :

On the lower lid and no history of either in my family. I teach Macrobiotics and have a great diet, vegan and have good health, energy etc., as I teach yoga also, actually the lubricants helped the itching but did nothing to remove the puffiness which is on the lower lid coming from the corner of the eye socket

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Just give me a few minutes as I type my response.

Customer :

Thank you

Customer :

Also I havenever had this before, no eye problems or otherwise, it is only since i had the eye infection

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As we age the elasticity of the skin begins to reduce thus causing the skin around the eyes to sag. Also the orbital fat tends to accumalate there giving rise to puffiness around the eyes. It might be possible that the process being very slow, got obvious after your eye infection. But I assure you that the eye infection per se is not responsible for such a puffiness of the eyes. This condition is called as dermatochalasis and can affect either the upperlid or the lowerlid or both. It can be corrected by a surgical procedure called blepharoplasty.

Customer :

Part of the eye infection was the puffiness it came at exactly the same time as the sticky mucus and has never gone away, perhaps it was a reaction to the creams or ointments that they gave me in spain

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be other systemic causes for puffiness of the eyes such as from hypertension/diabetes with renal function abnormality, hypoprotenemia. If the puffiness was a reaction from the eye ointments then it usually lasts only for few days or as long as the ointment is used but not for any more time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I believe the eye ointments were given to you some months back and not recently.

Customer :

O.K. well I guess I have to keep trying to get to the bottom of it. yes, the eye oitments were one year ago when i took the infection and the puffiness came with the infection, before that I did not have as much as a mark on my eye and my husband agrees. At the moment sitting here I feel the corners of my eyes very tight and dry as if i want to keep opening my eyes and stretching them

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the absence of any systemic cause for the puffiness around the lowerlid ( as detected by routine blood tests and general physical exam, systemic examination), it is considered as dermatochalasis. Blepharoplasty is very beneficial in such cases and is done by an oculoplast surgeon.

Customer :

O.K. thanks for your help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For your dry eyes, apart from lubricating eye drops ( which help by replenishing the reduced tears) you can ask your ophthalmologist for the possible start of cyclosporin eye drops called Restasis ( it helps to increase tear production). Only after these methods fail , then punctal occlusion with silicone plugs is tried.

Customer :

O.K. thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good day

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome. Have a good day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince