Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

The youth is about 15 and healthy, but has noticed a clear

The youth is about 15 and healthy, but has noticed a clear tiny bubble like tissue under his eyelid in the corner of his eye. It seems to be between the sclera---the edge of his eyeball and the eye socket tissue.

Hi. I can help you today. Our chat system seems to be having difficulties...we can use the Q&A system to answer your question.

Is this tissue in the very corner of his eye by his nose, just above his lower lid?

Does he have any vision problems, pain, or discharge?

Does it look like #1 in this picture? Color is not that important....can be pink,whitish or like in the picture....

Edge of nose is just to the left in this photo.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

There are no visual problems, no pain and no discharge. It does resemble the one in the photo you sent, however it is slightly higher up---and underneath the upper eyelid.

The upper eyelid covers it and so it is not visible except when lifting the lid.

In that location the most common cause is a chalazion.

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

Thank-you for your response.

The clear like bump is underneath the upper eyelid, (not on it). It is on the edge of his eyeball in the eye socket tissue.

It is slightly smaller than the one in the picture you sent me, however he's had it for about a year and a half.

And there is a slight---very slight, bluish tinge in the corner of the white of his eye---not more than 3mm in width.

Hmmm....if it has been present that long it could be a foreign body granuloma, or if it is actually on his eyeball itself, the most common cause would be a conjunctival cyst. Can you take a picture of it and post it here? Follow these instructions to do so:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Upload your picture to the site by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

This is what a conjunctival cyst might look like:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can't take a picture as he isn't available at the moment. I'll try to describe it better.

It does look like a cyst, it is right inside the corner of his eye but upwards about 3mm, whereby his lid covers it. It is not on the lid but right in the corner of his eye.

Also,what is a foreign body granuloma?

Is it on the white part of his eyeball? If it is not on the eyeball, when you say the corner of his eye, is it on the side near his nose or the other side?
here is a better picture of a conjunctival cyst

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is near his nose and it is in the eye socket tissue bordering the eyeball. It does look like the conjunctival cyst, so I guess it may be one, or else a chalazion?

I bet it is a conjunctival cyst. A chalazion would not be as old as what you are talking about.

Now. What to do about a conjunctival cyst? Nothing. It needs no treatment as long as it is not causing any visual problems, lid closure problems etc. What causes them? A gland on the conjunctiva has become clogged and the normal fluid it puts out forms a cyst. It can also come after a cut to the conjunctiva or minor trauma.

They can be removed but have a tendency to come back.

I'm sorry I was having such a hard time figuring out where this lesion on the boy's eye they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Nowhere is that more true then in the practice of ophthalmology :o)

It has been a pleasure to help you today. Let me know if I can be of any further service. Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank-you Dr. Rick,

Your information and advice has been very helpful.

My pleasure. Have a Merry Christmas and a very happy new year.