Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I woke up this morning with a red painless blister on the white

I woke up this morning with a red painless blister on the white part of my eyeball. Should I make an appointment with the doctor or wait to see if it disappears on its own? I have never had any problem at all with my eyes before now.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a subconjunctival hemorrhage

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Good morning.....or is it Good afternoon on your side of the pond? :o)