Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I seen a Doctor today about my right ball twitching side to side

Customer Question

I seen a Doctor today about my right ball twitching side to side, when i see bright lights, like the sun. It hadn't affected my sight until later today when it was really bright out everything I looked at appeared to be vibrating slightly for just a few moments, go away and then do it again. Any ideas as to what this may be or what tests I should ask for ect.. The Doctor didn't think after examining it that their was anything wrong. But why is it doing this it has been for over a week now, and getting more frequent, with even less light.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

do you take any medications or have any medical problems? Do you get migraine headaches or have a family history of them?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like what you are describing is called myokymia. This can involve many muscles but it is common in one of the muscles that moves the eyeball. This can cause the exact issues you are talking about.

Dr. Rick :

rarely this can be a sign of serious brain problems, such as a brainstem tumor, Guilliam Barre syndrome (you would know if you had this....) or Multiple sclerosis.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that, in the VAST MAJORITY of cases it is nothing to worry about and usually resolves on its own. Decreasing caffeine intake, sleeping more, decreasing drug and alcohol use and relieving stress and anxiety solves the problem.

Dr. Rick :

It can also be hard for a doctor to diagnose this problem if it is not happening during the examination or the history is not clear. What is the take home message here? I believe you will be fine and this will resolve on its own.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I do, however, agree with your plan to have a complete exam by your doctor today, although an ophthalmologist would be better trained to deal with your issues then a primary care MD.

It has been a pleasure to assist you today. Have a great holiday season.