Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a fairly large black spec that just appeared in my left

I have a fairly large black spec that just appeared in my left eye. It seems to be floating around influenced by eye movement. I thought it was just a protein spec but it appears larger and hasn't gone away for 3 days now. Blinking it doesn't move so I think it is someting on the inside of my eye. What could it be ?
Please respond at my personal email:[email protected]

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight

Dr. Rick :

Personal emails don

Dr. Rick :

t work. We can only communicate via this site.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Your answer seems plausable. This is a floater black spot in the eye much the same as sometime you get those black protein spots that usually go away quickly only bigger.

This one has not gone away 3 days now. I am not getting any flashes of light, just the bug looking black spot floating around in my eye. Is there anything else you might suggest it is. I was hoping it would go away on it's own. What could an ophthalmologist do to remove it if it won't go away on it's own ?

These are my last questions and thanks. I will press the pay button once you have addressed my reply.

a "floater" from a PVD is the most likely cause of the black spot you are talking about. Othe causes would be bleeding inside the eye or inflammation (uveitis), although with these I would expect you to have other symptoms.

It is very rare to do surgery to remove a floater as there are significant risks to the surgery and floaters rarely cause any problems

A complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist will allow an exact diagnosis to be made.

It has been a pleasure to help you today.