Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

MY EYES CONTINUALLY ACHE CAUSING ME TO BLINK OFTEN..OFTEN DURING

MY EYES CONTINUALLY ACHE CAUSING ME TO BLINK OFTEN TO RELIEVE PAIN AND FOCUS ON WHAT I AM SEEING. IT HURTS IN THE MORNINGS AS WELL AS OFTEN DURING THE DAY AND MORE AT NIGHT. I AM BLACK UNDER MY EYES. I SLEEP VERY WELL WITH AT LEAST 8 HOURS OF SLEEP. I AM RETIRED WITH VERY LITTLE STRESS IN MY LIFE. I HAVE HAD MY EYES CHECKED AND HAVE GOOD EYE SIGHT AT LONG RANGE AND WITH READING GLASSES UP CLOSE. I USE DROPS TO ENHANCE TEARING. COULD I BE REACTING TO SOME OF MY MED'S, HAIR SPRAY, ETC. IT DOES NOT SEEM SEASONAL (POLLEN RELATED). YOUR FEEDBACK?

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversable) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have effect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in a week or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

that area under your eyes could be caused by orbital fat prolapse. It can be dark in color, it is almost never painful and can be treated with minor surgery.

We can still communicate here even though you've already accepted the answer -- I'm happy to continue to help you.